12Aug2006, Day -1, A Rapid Departure

I feel like finally leaving for Italy was some sort of a culmination of events that started back in February, but during my departure from Florida I actually felt more morose than excitement. I believe the sources of this were from self inflicted stress of getting everything done before going and the signals of distress from others that all was not well with my seemingly sudden departure.

Not that this was really a surprise, only that it seemed to come more rapidly than any of us had planned on. Between returning from Argentina and trying to get everything in order – both the important things and a lot of lesser distractions that were somehow magnified into a state of inflated importance, my last two weeks home passed in a snap. --For example, we belabored all day over packing my 2 oversize suitcases debating what to bring, the order of placing the clothes, how to arrange them, whether I should carry the medicines, or stow them, and how to make 130lbs of luggage somehow etherealize down to 99 pounds for the sake of avoiding the $25 fee for overweight luggage.

So I said my goodbyes to the family and neighbors at Leaha’s birthday party and was on the road to the airport. I felt as soon as I got in the car away from all the commotion I began to simmer down a bit, and once I was checked in (without any fines for overweight luggage) and though security I began to feel at ease and began to enjoy the magnitude of the opportunity I have created.

I think I am most turned on, yet most afraid of the unknown that is yet to come.

No comments: