Jan 23, Day 13, Just another day in...

After a slow start to the week, I felt like today was a better day although the weather has dampened. I snoozed for 15 minutes instead of doing my pushups and then zoned out at the table with a shot of coffee and my favorite magazine while I ate my standard ration breakfast of eggs and cereal. I wonder if my exposure (and ingestion) of nearly 1000 eggs yearly places me in an elevated risk group of contracting the bird flu. I dressed in short sleeves because I think being hot all day in the office does not help my attitude. I wonder if anyone has ever left the company because they couldn’t stand the office climate.

The bus arrived an additional half hour later than its usual tardiness because of the rain, but I didn’t really mind because I was happily trying to finish Herb Cohen’s, You can negotiate anything. I have 8 pages to go. I cringed when then the old wagon finally pulled up because the windows were clouded with condensation on the inside. I took a deep breath and climbed aboard. It reminds me of when we used to pack the weight room in high school so that the mirrors would fog in the summer. –Not really the environment I’d like to be in when I have to wait until I get home at the end of the day to shower. I continued cranking though the book, but the film on the windows so obscured the dreary landmarks outside that I overshot my stop and had to take the next bus one stop back.

I spent the morning looking for some data. After poring over a nice paper by a group in Finland, it was time for lunch. In the afternoon I decided to verify some of the measurements they presented with my own calculations. I thought my results sounded more reasonable than theirs but a false assumption on the location of the neutral axis could easy throw of my numbers, so I might look deeper into that tomorrow. Soon it was getting time to go.

After my usual stop in the grocery store I decided to go for a jog. 15 minutes into the trip my left leg started to hurt, and I walked back. A few minutes from the apartment I heard someone speaking English behind me. It was two guys in suits. In the dark I misjudged them to be businessmen, but they introduced themselves as Mormon missionaries here on an assignment -just out of high school.

After an unremarkable dinner, I’m left once again to occupying myself by pondering the questions of life. After reading an article on how down-to-earth Pam Anderson is despite being considered by many to be The blond of the century, the topic of tonight is girls. And more specifically, “Why am I getting to know so few of them?” I’ll leave you with an excerpt from the article, there is no distance between the person she is and the person she purports to be, no dichotomy to resolve, which not only makes her less complicated but also closes the gap between fantasy and reality. She’s the kind of girl you might actually meet in a bar. I’ll leave the commentary to you.

1 comment:

Cap'n Rick said...

Ah yes, the classic "false assumption on the location of the neutral axis" error. I think the British made the same mistake prior to the Second World War...