Jan 12, Day 2, To Roma

I woke before my alarm at 7:00 with the sort of anticipation of a kid before going to Disney world. I was hoping to catch a morning train to Rome, and try to get out of the apartment before the plumbers would arrive. Although they were scheduled to come at 9, they came at 8:30, and I was left to make my final preparations around them. So I locked my room, left the key with the portiniera, and was on my way. I read the lonely planet guide while traveling 250 km/hr on the way there, and called a few budget rooms before pulling into the station.

I selected the cheapest room with a private bath for 40 euros a night. Dropped off my bag, and headed out. My aim was to head towards the Roman forum/palatino, but I was distracted by some fountains and other sights along the way and found it closed with I arrived at 4:30. By then it was getting dark, so I headed towards the state building to watch the sunset from the roof. They were also kicking people out soon after I got there, but at least I had a few minutes to pan the scenery from above. They’ll be opening the elevators to the upper level in June, which will really provide an excellent view of the coliseum and nearby areas.

I continued my sightseeing in failing light and well into the night. Although I was looking for an interesting restaurant before heading back for bed, every time I reached a crossroads it seemed there was something more interesting just out of sight in the wrong direction. At some point in the night I found myself in front of the Pantheon. Later, at the Trevi fountain where I tossed in a penny I found in my pocket. Then to the Piazza di Spagna. I meandered back towards the hotel where I selected a place to eat, but the food was not impressing. I was even less impressed when I found there was no soap in the bathroom, and I had to walk all the way back to the train station to find anything open. I could barely keep my eyes open by the time I had showered and was ready for bed even though it was hardly past 11PM.





No comments: