21 August 2007, 4-weeks later, Epilogue

I was having a little trouble sleeping and went back the laptop for a diversion. I began sorting my photo collection without thinking about the significance of the day. It was a moving and nostalgic experience as I went through every one of the hundreds of photos I took in Italy. I realized it is the 4-week anniversary of my return to America. I think I was in Italy for a total of 311 days, spread over almost a year, with my only homecomings for Christmas and Eric’s wedding.

As I’ve told so many people since my return, “I’m happy to be back.” This is true, but I feel that something is missing. Somewhere in the depths of my conscious remains more than a lingering memory echoing the smells and voices of Italy. Sometimes it resurfaces as a simple reminder. -Like the other night when I made pasta. It came out as any typical American pasta would come out: “Merda” by any Italian standard. (I guess I shouldn’t buy the sauce on the bottom shelf.) Other times it’s a little more restrained like when I catch myself before saying something in Italian, or when I find myself drifting along the boardwalk of Pacific Beach reminiscent of the “passegiata.”

Italy certainly left an imprint on me. My mind will begin to decompress the more complex lessons and subtleties that I will take from abroad after my dependency for espresso fades. It will take some time to truly understand the greater meaning of this experience in the context of the rest of my life. But I do know that I can say wholeheartedly, and without a doubt, that I am extremely pleased to have gone on this journey. Though I am beginning to question the timing of my return, there is little reason why my adventures should not continue to whatever part of the world they may carry me. I think that this was only the beginning and there is still much more to come.

I will close this blog with a Sicilian proverb and a tear for the wonderful people left behind and one for the anticipation of tomorrow. Ricardo was right to tell me, “Cu’ nesci, Arrinesci!”

No comments: